Piano Teachers' Forum of Grand Rapids
The first meeting of the Piano Teachers' Forum of Grand Rapids was held on 21 April 1950 at the Women's City Club. The first president, Mrs. Dorothy Pelck McGraw, had called together several of her colleagues to form a group to "foster congenial fellowship among its members, to offer opportunity for beneficial interchange of thought and to stimulate teaching interest by listening to instructive talks." At this meeting a committee was appointed to draw up a constitution. Early meetings of the organization were occasional and often in the form of five-day workshops.
In 1951, the meetings were changed to the YWCA and then back to the Women's City Club in 1952. During that year, the Forum hosted the Fall Convention of Michigan Music Teachers Association at the Pantlind Hotel. The first auditions for State Certification were held in Grand Rapids on 30 March 1954. In 1956, the Forum became one of the first organizations to affiliate with MMTA.
Through the years, the Piano Teachers' Forum of Grand Rapids has seen increased membership along with enhanced member and student services. The organization is the proud sponsor of numerous competitions and activities for young pianists and serves as a vital resource for many piano studios across West Michigan.